Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Maiden Voyage

(first published on the 13th September 2005)

This was yesterday - the 12th of September (I'm not superstitious, but I wasn't going to launch today!) The first photo shows son Ed pushing the boat out - literally.

IMAG0012.JPG

The second shows trials under power - Lugg rows easily and tracks well, although the rowlocks jump out of their sockets a little easily if you get the oar blade at the wrong angle.

IMAG0017.JPG

The third and fourth show the little bugger actually sailing - which he does well: stable (I started out sitting on the floor but soon realised that it was fine to perch up on the centre thwart), a fair turn of speed for the hull length in a breeze, and safe. We had winds of force 1 to 3 only, but it seems that Lugg won't tack through less than 120 degrees in winds this light - inevitable for a small lug-rigged boat, I imagine.

IMAG0020.JPG

IMAG0024.JPG

I had a great time and I think Ed enjoyed himself too.

No comments: