Sunday, August 22, 2010

Birmingham Art Gallery

I visited this gallery last Friday and was amazed at the quality of the 19th Century painting which they have.  There's a fine version of Ford Madox Brown's "The Last of England", almost identical to that held by the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge:


There's what must be almost a full size water-colour study for Burne Jones' "King Cophetua and the Beggar Maid":


There's Millais's "The Blind Girl:


There's a half size copy by Ford Madox brown of his "Work", the original of which hangs in Manchester:


This is Rossetti's final version of "Beata Beatrix", left unfinished at his death in 1882:



All these and many other fine Pre-Raphaelite paintings.  Birmingham's modern collection is much sparser, and the very recent stuff is mostly the usual rubbish that will probably be in a skip within 20 years (we can but hope), but there is a reconstruction of Epstein's amazing "Rock Drill" from 1913 - twelve feet high and very imposing:



Finally a couple of works from about the same period.  First is C R W Nevinson's "Column on the March" from about 1915 - stunning, and I've never seen it before:



And from a few years later, Munnings' "Arrival at Epsom Downs for Derby Day":

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I just came upon your posts in looking up images of 19th century animal paintings.
I'm so enjoying reading your thoughts and observations about painting!! Great writing!
THANK YOU!
Why are you no longer posting?

John McCartney said...

I've put some of my own paintings on tumblr (you can look me up - Themelthorpe - if you like. And I'll have to garner some of my rants from other sites and post them on here soon. Thanks for the kind words.